The Tenants Journey
For tenants it’s not just about finding the right property, it’s ensuring you also choose the right agent. Matthews Benjamin Lettings is a forward thinking lettings agent handling prestigious rental properties in the Lake District and North Lancashire. We offer a wealth of knowledge, experience and commitment on a day to day basis to those tenants who command the best customer service.
Registering Your Interest
Call, email or pop in to your local Matthews Benjamin branch to register on our tenant mailing list. Matthews Benjamin offer accompanied viewings 7 days a week to ensure we offer the flexibility our clients crave.
The Application Process
Following your viewing should you have a further interest in the property we will require all parties over the age of 18 to complete a brief application for us to submit to our landlord. On the approval of the landlord you will then be provided with a unique username and password for the online submission of your comprehensive application.
The application process will require you to provide the following information to allow us to thoroughly complete the necessary background and credit checks
Each applicant must provide:
• Proof of their National Insurance Number – A payslip, National Insurance Card or any official documentation addressed to the applicant.
• Proof of Address – A recent utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 3 months. Please Note: a driving license cannot be accepted as proof of address.
• Photo ID – a passport or driving licence. Other forms of ID may be accepted if applicant does not hold either, please speak to the lettings team for further information.
Proof of any Additional Income (If applicable)
Should a guarantor be required, the guarantor must complete our application form and provide all supporting documents (listed above).
Please note a guarantor must be in a financial position to cover the FULL rental share for all applicants. If a guarantor cannot be provided, an advanced rental payment of 6 month + deposit can be made by the applicants. If neither option is possible the application may be unsuccessful.
What Happens Next
Should all background and credit checks be accepted by the landlord the agent will negotiate on behalf of the landlord & tenant a suitable time and date for tenants to attend the office / property to sign all necessary paperwork, make payment (see below) and hand over the keys to the property. Should the landlord reject the tenants application due to poor credit / references the property will be instant re marketed and unfortunately the administration fee (see below) will not be refunded. In the circumstances where tenants pass all necessary check and the landlord rejects the application partial/ full refund may be granted.
Please allow at least two weeks from submitting your application for tenancy. It can take up to five working days to receive all the information and obtain instructions from the landlord to proceed. We then have to prepare the inventory and tenancy agreement.
What Will It Cost?
One of the most commonly asked questions is, “what will it cost?” Matthews Benjamin is not an agent with hidden costs all up front costing have been detailed below.
Tenant Application / Admin Fee’s
1 x Applicant £145
2x Applicants £195
Any additional applicants will be charged at £60 each (On the basis there are 3 applicants = £195 + £60)
Guarantor Fee £100
The following amounts are due on or before your commencement date if your application is successful:
• 1st Months Rent
• Deposit: Equivalent to 1x months rent plus an addition £100
• Pet Clause: Minimum£100
The deposit and rent must be paid by cleared funds. This can be done by either of the following:
• BACS transfer
• Card Payment
• If paying by cheque this must be given to the agent 5 working days prior to the commencement to allow funds to be cleared.
ALL funds must be cleared in agents account before keys can be released.
Matthews Benjamin Lettings recommends that you should have adequate insurance cover (minimum cover £2,500) when undertaking a tenancy so that any accidental damage to the Landlords furniture, fixtures and fittings in the property is covered along with your own belongings.
What Else To Budget For
Moving house can be a costly and stressful time, below are additional costings to budget for
• Council Tax – Unless advised otherwise tenants are responsible for payment of council tax.
• Utility Bills – In addition to council tax tenant will be fully responsible for setting up, managing and paying all utility bills during their tenancy.
• Removal Costs – Often when budgeting tenants forget to take in to consideration not only the cost but the time frame of removal companies. Please feel free to ask agent for recommendations.
Occupancy restrictions mean only people who meet certain criteria can live in a particular house. There are some variations but generally most Section 106’s will now say that a person must have lived in the area for at least three years. People who work in the area or have a permanent job offer may also be considered.
For more information or to check your eligibility we recommend you contact The Housing Strategy Team at South Lakeland Council.
Telephone: 01539 733 333
Address: Housing Strategy Team South Lakeland House Lowther Street Kendal Cumbria LA9 4DQ